Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Jenn Davis is a crazy gym addict


This post is to quell any rumors and to put your mind at ease. It is to answer the question I am most frequently asked by friends and well wishers when I talk about my day to day activities. That question is "how do you do it?" This is the question that is asked of me when people discover that in addition to being a wife, mother of three small girls, college teacher and university student, that I am a dedicated runner and fitness enthusiast. I am always surprised and a little embarrassed by the fact that people are impressed and dare I say amazed that I work out so regularly. So here is the best explanation for why I do what I do....
1. I love the runners high. No I did not fall down and hit my head on the pavement but the endorphin boost I get during and following a good workout is rivaled only by an extremely satisfying orgasm.
2. I love the camraderie. Finding out you share the bond of running or training with someone is the equivalent to what women experience when they become mothers. You are indoctrinated into some kind of sacred fold where tales of bonking and scars from road rash are badges of honor. I have made friends for life with this common thread and when I go to a social function we runners huddle in a corner and talk of our exploits our victories and losses. It's a great way to meet people and it's a great way to strengthen friendships. I'm sure Heidi will concur that some of our best talks have been while we've been out pounding the pavement in our Asics.
3. It is time for ME ME ME!! Some days my run or trip to the gym is the only time I get that is TOTALLY mine. I adore my daughters and I know they adore me but this adoration comes with a price. Most of the time I live in the world where I pee with an audience, eat with someone sitting on my lap and converse in Ellinese (the official language of Elle). That one or two precicous hours when it's just me and the trail and the sound of breath and foot falls is like a sanctuary. I can think, I can dream, I can relax. These moments are GOLDEN and they make it easier for me to keep up with the rest of my life.
So in a nutshell that is why I do it. That is why I love it.

No comments: