Monday, July 30, 2007

Harry Potter Hype

When Harry Potter was first released I didn't understand what the big deal was. However since marrying a Harry Potter fan and sharing the stories with my girls I have developed a definite affection for Harry and entire Hogwart's gang. I enjoy curling up on the couch with my girls and a bowl of popcorn to watch the movies (we have all of the previously released installments). My girls love to play make believe and I have played every character from Hermione to Dobby. My fondness for Harry though seems to be of a slightly different vein than other adult fans.
I find it troubling that so many adults have gone to the trouble of over analyzing this great work of fiction. I saw a show on A&E where several academics discussed and debated the Harry Potter story. They analyzed character persona's and discussed Hogwart's happenings as if they were fact. And though I understand that all great literary works are subject to this type of dissection I couldn't help but think of how these so called experts had managed to suck the fun and dare I say "magic" out of J.K. Rowling's work. For as much as I love Harry and as much as I wish that Hogwart's was real so Chloe can realize her childhood ambition to learn witch craft and wizardry, the fact is that Harry Potter is a brilliant work of FICTION. Harry Potter is one of the world's finest representations of true unabated imagination, an ability that is in my opinion disappearing. Perhaps it's disappearing because of the human need to over analyze and pick everything apart. So I will leave analyzing the conclusion of the Harry Potter series to the eggheads, and I will enjoy it for what it is and always will be; a wonderful story, brilliantly told by someone who has never lost their childlike ability to dream.

No comments: