Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A new spin on fitness


As a young girl I was bitten by the ballerina bug and my parents were only too happy to oblige me with lessons. At the time I did ballet because I loved it and like so many other girls had ambitions of dancing professionally. What I was totally unaware of is what a great workout dancing is. I think my first foray into understanding the impact years of dance training had on fitness was when at 16 I got my first membership to a local gym. I was doing my equipment orientation and the trainer singled me out for a shoulder exercise. She couldn't get over how toned and shaped my shoulders were and asked what I did to get that definition. After some thought I realized that my ballet was responsible and told her as much. After all holding your arms in second position for some times an entire ballet class must have some effect on the physique. Anyway since then I have had a deep appreciation for the fitness benefits of dance training. (if you're still not convinced just look at the body of any professional dancer)
Today many people market dancing's benefits and you can take all kinds of dance classes for fitness purposes. A studio here in Lethbridge teaches a ballet fitness class for adults. The class requires no previous dance training and teaches students fundamental ballet moves. Having dropped in on the class a few times I can definitely affirm that it definitely will improve fitness. It is quick paced, challenging and offers students a wide variety of basic ballet steps combine with strengthening and toning fitness moves. At then end of the hour you are glistening in sweat and shining with the grace of a ballerina. It is an inventive, fun way to mix up your training and I highly recommend it to everyone looking to shape and tone their body into ballerina perfection.

No comments: