Sunday, August 12, 2007

Who are the Runners in your Neighborhood?



For the most part I don't consider the City of Lethbridge to be a particularly progressive place. The mall closes at 5:30 on weekday nights, every restaraunt has to offer steak and potatoes to placate the farmers, and we don't have recycling pick up. But there is one area where we really shine. Lethbridge has one of the largest running communities in Western Canada. Who would have thought that the little city locked in the Bible belt would boast one of the largest Canadian running clubs and a local race circuit that keeps you busy from March until November?! In my opinion the best part of this running explosion is the diversity within it. Thus today is my unofficial salute to all of my comrades and kindred spirits. My feet have been known to beat a path around West Lethbridge and here is a brief composite of some of the people I share my turf with:

1. The blond running girl. This girl is a machine. Everyday she beats a path behind my house along the top of the coulee. She runs twice a day usually around5 (gag) am and then again at supper time. I've seen her as far as the University which means she is routinely running a minimum of 5 miles per run. She is tall, thin and graceful in her gait. I totally admire her dedication.

2.The really fit backpack guy. This guy is another superfit runner. He does his miles with a weighted pack on his back even in the summer heat and man is he fast. Best thing about him? He always looks surprised when you stop the car and wave him across the street instead of making him stop. He gives a friendly wave and I salute back. Anyone who moves that fast with extra weight on their back deserves my total respect.

3. The long haired running mom. Everyday she is part of the neighborhood scenery. She has long dark hair and its usually tied back of her face so it trails down her back. She has really long legs and a smooth loping gait. I think the most beautiful thing about her is the look of absolute serenity she has on her face when she runs. Even when she's climbing the Bridge Drive hill.

4. The jogging housewife. This is the newest addition to our clan. She's a little heavy and self conscious. She keeps her runs to the times of day when the neighborhood is the least busy. She hasn't yet discovered the need for comfortable gear so she makes her laps in khaki shorts and Walmart sneakers. Every time I see her I want to roll down my van window and shout "go sister go, push, push, push, you're doing AWESOME!" But I think that would freak her out. I am trying to will a little bit of my runners high in her direction whenever our paths cross. I hope she finds the joy and fun in running that I have. I hope she keeps going at least for one more mile.

5. My girls. Well known around the neighborhood as the little sporty kids. Who are these people? I think is a familiar refrain around here as they see Chloe and I out for a quick 3 miles. She is all tall and rangy with long legs. She has that young person gazelle look to her and when she runs I get a glimpse of her as a young women; head held high gracefully running along the hills and my heart swells with pride. Then there is Elle. So little still but so determined to share in our family rituals. She insists on doing a quarter mile run every other day. This is a major feat for a 3 year old. She refuses to stop until she's back home. She's stubborn and head strong. She is a girl after my own heart and in the future I see her trail running, fast and not fearing the tough terrain she encounters.

6. Then there's me. Ponytail bouncing, ipod strapped on. Usually with a small black lab leading the way (love ya Balin). Whatever time of the day I can squeeze it and for however long I can manage. Usually with a smile on my face. I love my runs and the opportunity they give me to just be on my own and explore my community. Even though I've driven all of the West side in my van I always discover something new out my runs.


We are a rag tag motley crew. We all have our own routes, our own styles and our own rituals. But when you strip all of the differences away we are all runners and that in my opinion is a silent tie that binds.

1 comment:

Squirrelly Girly said...

I really liked this post!