Thursday, December 28, 2006

Executing a Game Plan...


According to Greenberg et al. (2004), achieving fitness goals is dependent on taking the time to first identify your goals. Physical Fitness & Wellness goes on to to identify two important components of goal setting; being realistic and periodically assessing your progress. When I teach goal setting to my first year massage therapy students I expand on this formula to give them the following criteria for goal setting:

1)A goal should have a specific objective

2) A goal has a specific outcome

3) A goal has a targeted deadline

4) A goal should be re-evaluated periodically

5) A goal should not be overly rigid


It is these principles that I will apply to my postpartum fitness program. I am over the next week going to introduce one goal each day. These initial goals are to carry through into the month of March 2007. At this point I will need to reassess my fitness and adjust my goals according to my capabilities and my desire to compete in several road races in the coming months.

No comments: