Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Eye Spy


In academic research a confounder is something that makes it difficult to proceed with your research. Yesterday I stumbled across just such a variable that is going to slightly impair my ability to stay on task with my postpartum return to training & fitness.


I had what I thought would be a routine eye doctor's appointment yesterday. I am quite nearsighted and have relied on the magic of contact lenses for 17 years now. Well I was pretty surprised to learn that the brand of contacts I have been using for the past two years are considered "old school" technology and actually harming my eyes. I have an eye infection and some scarring on my cornea. The optometrist assures me that both are temporary and reversible but meanwhile I am stuck wearing my ancient and ineffective glasses to give my eyes a rest. I suppose I could get some kind of nerdy looking strap to secure them on my head while I train but I know I am just not going to be comfortable working out in my specs. Anyway I am slightly delayed with my training plans. I am going to continue with abdominal work and stretching at home while I heal but this feels insignificant.


Looking on the bright side this unavoidable detour on my path to retraining will give me some more time to revise and perfect my training goals. I am hoping that this blog will serve as a record of my attempt to train to run a marathon by this July in spite of the confounder of having a new born baby to care for. If I'm meticulous enough with my goal setting and documenting my progress I just might be able to craft this little project into a great independent study toward my exercise science degree.

No comments: