Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Goal # 3.......... Strength


No return to fitness would be complete without proper strength training. I had the good luck to take a course last year titled "theories in strength training" and I came out with a new respect for the versatility of weight training. On some level I knew that it helped all aspects of well rounded fitness (muscle tone, strength, power etc.) but I finished the semester with all sorts of information on how to manipulate this type of training to maximize its potential and my results.


Anyway my hope is that strength training right now will help me tone my body, build muscle, increase my strength and inevitably my speed while running. Here's the plan


1) 25 minutes of upper body weight training following a warm up 1 day a week.

2) 25 minutes of lower body weight training following a warm up 1 day a week.

3) 25 minutes of abdominal and core training following a warm up 2 days a week.


I have chosen to up the frequency of core strengthening as opposed to my upper and lower body because I am a firm believer that a strong core is key to being successful in all realms of physical activity. There is an abs and core class offered at the YMCA and I am hoping that I will be able to attend it as often as possible. This would allow me to have 50 minutes of core training once a week. However because my time seems to be spread a little thin these days I will be satisfied with my shorter but more frequent efforts.

I will continue with this training program until the end of February. At this time I look forward to changing up my weight training and adding more compound exercises and olympic lifts!

No comments: