Sunday, May 6, 2007

Be Young at Heart, Train Smart!



My daughters are learning to skip and I'm really having fun teaching them how. It's amazing how much I remember when it comes to this sport. In reality I haven't skipped since I was in elementary school so it was a pleasant surprise to find out my nervous system hasn't forgotten what to do. I can even do the "tricks" I worked so hard to master back in grade three. I remember that in elementary school we used to participate in a program called "Jump Rope for Heart". We had monthly skipathons in which we raised money for heart research and reaped the benefits of a healthy cardiorespiratory system. I wish they still had this program running in schools but alas there is much less focus on physical fitness in schools today as I am learning as Chloe journeys through the first grade. But I'm still glad that I can share this fun sport with my girls. I even turned my sorority's original cheer from 1904 into a skipping game for them and they love it! As an adult I'm enjoying the immense fitness benefits of skipping. Just ten minutes of skipping burns between 70 & 110 calories and builds fast twitch muscle fibre in the legs. This will totally enhance my running and my relationship with my bestest buddies Chloe and Elle!

No comments: