Friday, April 6, 2007

And Visions of Hopkinton danced in her head...


Yesterday evening I had one of those great long runs. You know the ones; your legs are strong and powerful, your breathing is even & easy. You feel like you could go on forever. Usually about mid way through these long runs my euphoria peaks and my runners high sets in. I think the high I get from sustaining an 8:49 pace must make me delerious because as I trotted along I actually started to think about qualifying for the "granddaddy of them all", the Boston Marathon. In my 10 foot tall and bullet proof trance I actually had the following thoughts:
1. I can qualify with just one try.
2. Heartbreak hill? Doesn't scare me. Have you seen some of the hills in Lethbridge?
3. I wonder what kind of shoes I should wear.....
Clearly I was not lucid. But I did enjoy this delusion and what it did for my confidence. Even if the challenges of Boston are elusive it's thoughts like these that keep me going at least another mile.

No comments: