Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wanted one Nanny to help one Mummy


As some of my more faithful readers know I am an extremely busy woman. Right now I am on maternity leave until September. At this time my life will resume the mach 3 speed I am accustomed to. This fall seems particularly crazy. Not only will I be parenting and attending university classes, I will also be working twice as much since my program now has two years of study running simultaneously. Today as I registered for my fall semester classes I started to panic a little. How am I going to manage my schedule and that of my darling daughters. Chloe has school and swim club, Elle is starting preschool and little Scarlett needs lots of attention. I guess I forgot to mention my shift working husband!! (Okay I need to take another deep breath) How am I going to be in five places at once and still find time to eat, sleep, exercise, study and mark assignments?
Then I had an epiphany! With the extra cash I'm going to be making I will be able to afford to hire a nanny. A nanny would mean assistance with my children in my home on my schedule. It would be a lot less running around and give me so much peace of mind. The more I thought about it the more feasible it all seemed.
And then my husband had to prick little holes in my bubble of joy. He is trying to veto my great idea. He thinks it is too much money. I know it's more than we are used to paying for child care but it still seems totally reasonable considering the alternative. That being, chasing around to day homes, after school care, and hiring babysitters to fill the gaps. Part of me thinks that he is not as enthused about hiring a nanny because he is not as involved with the kids as I am. I want to be fair but I think that I really deserve this kind of help. I don't anticipate that we would need a nanny for more than a year or so until the kids are a little older. Am I crazy for wanting this??

2 comments:

Heidi Schempp Fournier said...

Not only do I think you are NOT crazy, I applaud this step! I actually worry about you, that you don't get enought down time. So you get someone for a year, I think it will be a worthwhile investment. Sanity usually is.

Get started looking for someone here, http://www.greataupair.com/fastfind.cfm/page/1/pagelist/1/searchType/Advanced/aupairShortStay/1/aupairStartDate/0/countryList/40/pref/0/nationalityReq/1/displayRows/5/aupairLivein/0

Jenn Davis said...

That's why I love you Heidi, you totally get me.