Thursday, April 19, 2007

A time to reflect



I can't let this week go by without taking the opportunity to comment on the horrific events that took place at Virginia Tech on Monday.

As an instructor at a post secondary institution I share the outrage and grief experienced by all the students, faculty and staff at Virginia Tech. These poor people were robbed of their right to freely and safely pursue knowledge by an obviously deluded whacko.

My deepest condolences go out to the victims and their families. I admire the bravery and courage of the survivors. The determination of the entire collegiate community gives me hope for a new and better tomorrow. My prayer for all of them is that they rise from their despair and continue on their paths of higher learning.

Last night while I was watching the news Chloe sat beside me. Of course she had questions and I struggled to explain things in terms that a seven year old would understand. After I finished telling her about what had happened she sat quietly for a minute. Then she turned to me and said "well I'm definitely going to have to pray for those people tonight". I couldn't help but think that her innocent intention was probably what needed to be done most.

No comments: