Friday, April 27, 2007

Back to Basics



I recently read an article on the benefits of bare footed running. I was kind of surprised to come across this information since most of what I've read recommends this type of training only if you have strong problem free feet. My feet are riddled with problems; low arches, Morton's toes, bunions, etc. so I've always shied away from this idea. However, this research suggested that persistent bare footed running can actually strengthen and raise your arches and improve your foot biomechanics. It discusses the idea that our hi tech running shoes actually prevent our feet from maintaining and developing strength because they are "overly supported". After thinking about it for a while I am starting to feel compelled to give this bare foot running regime a try. BUT.... where on earth would I feel comfortable running in my bare feet in Lethbridge?? I cringe at the thought of my feet pounding along concrete and asphalt, my skin crawls at the thought of stepping in doggie poo in the field. The sensation of trail shale pricking my feet is not at all appealing. The only classic solution is to run in the sand on a beach and our land locked province isn't exactly known for its beaches. So alas my bare foot running experiment will have to wait until this summer when I am vacationing on the Pacific coast. At least this will provide a more pristine location to try out this somewhat controversial training method.

No comments: