Tuesday, April 3, 2007

It's not always how you look........


Like most other women out there I have issues with body image. I wish my waist were a little smaller, my abs a little firmer and my thighs a little more toned. At size 4 I still feel fat. Like most other girls out there I have been searching for the best way to combat these feelings. Somedays it seems impossible to silence my inner critic. I'm always pleased when I hear of movements in the media that embrace women for who they are. One I am especially impressed with is how the Spanish fashion industry banned models that are "too skinny". If you are supposed to live your life in the clothes displayed at fashion shows then it should be showcased by real women. Not anorexic abominations that look like death warmed over. As a mother of 3 girls I am forever worried that the way they see women portrayed in popular culture will impair my daughter's confidence and esteem. The new wave toward realistic sizes in fashion modelling gives me a tiny glimmer of hope that things will be different for the women of their generation. Skinny doesn't always equal healthy. That's a powerful message.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.